Penang Hokkien Mee is a dish of noodles in a stock made from prawn heads, shrimp, pork ribs and chilli. The soup is red in colour and the taste is a bit spicy.
Hokkien Mee also known as Prawn Mee. Some tourist, especially tourist from Kuala Lumpur think that ” Hokkien Mee” is a noodle dish fried with black soya sauce, however this fried noodle in Penang is called ” Hokkien Char”.
It is said that Hokkien Mee started from Clan Jetty. In Penang, you can get a bowl of Hokkien Mee at any street hawker, coffee shop, restaurant etc.
Hokkien Mee is a signature dish, you may try it when you visit Penang. Hokkien Mee come with noodles and vermicelli, kangkung, bean sprout, boiled egg, sliced meat and prawn. Some hawker add in pork ribs, roasted meat, meat ball etc.
Where to get a bowl of Hokkien Mee?
- Classic Coffee shop, opposite Padang Brown Food Court (Morning)
- Pulau Tikus New Cathay Coffee shop (Morning)
- One Corner Cafe, Jalan Bawasah (Morning)
- Burmah Road Green House Prawn Mee (Night)
- Lebuh Presgrave 888 Hokkien Mee (Night)