Penang is not only a tourist place, it is also food paradise in the region. Tourist is always looking for the best Penang hawker food.
Char Koay Teow is Penang’s iconic dish. Actually Char Koay Teow origin from Mainland China (Teow Chew) by the early Chinese migrants.
Char Koay Teow is made from flat rice noodles，it also known as Koay Teow, the ingredients including bean sprouts, chives, Chinese sausage, prawn, egg, chilli and soy sauce. Char Koay Teow also prepare with seafood such as crab meat, fish cake or with duck egg.
Traditionally Char Koay Teow cook with charcoal, stir- fried in port fat and cockles. But now is hard to get this traditional style Char Koay Teow. One of the hawker keep using charcoal is the road side hawker stall at Siam Road.
Where to get a nice portion of Char Koay Teow? Actually you can get this dish everywhere in Penang. Below are the places Penangist recommended.
- Siam Road Road side stall — start from afternoon
- Padang Brown Food Court — afternoon only
- Penang Road Ho Ping Coffee shop — morning to afternoon
- Penang Road Kheng Pin Cafe — morning to afternoon
- Batu Lanchang Market Food Court — afternoon