Han Jiang Ancestral Temple (Penang Teochew Association)built in 1870. The temple is the only example of traditional Teochew architecture in George Town. It’s also won the 2006 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Award for Culture Heritage Conservation.
The Teowchew Association original established as “Teochew Kongsi” in 1855. It was located at 381 Beach Street. Then moved to present site at Chulia Street in 1870.
The Teochew migrants formed the association to look after the welfare of community. In 1919 it established the Han Chiang School and Han Jiang Secondary School in 1950.
Han Jiang Ancestral Temple hired master craftsmen from China to restore the temple from 2003 to 2005. The photos gallery at the two room near the main entrance is very interesting, it show the history and the photo before and after restoration.
Penang Teochew Association
Add:127, Chulia Street, 10200 Penang, Malaysia